Sunday, May 16, 2010

off to mariposa

I think we left my brother's house closer to 7:30pm. When it was about 9pm, we started to think about maybe getting a quick bite before stores closed at the small towns that were on our way. We ended up at the McDonald's in Salida (part of the Modesto metropolitan area).

Patti pointed out how the restaurant had cafe-like seating areas, where customers could take advantage of the free wifi. I then noticed the bar seating. I don't go to McDonald's much (I tend to only eat it when at airports), so I don't know if this is a common set up in many of the stores. I thought it was cool.

But what I was really impressed with is that this McDonald's offers free after-school tutoring, complete with free milk and cookies and bilingual tutors. The employees themselves do the tutoring.

For a Modesto Bee article about this program, go here.

I think we were in Merced at around 10pm. I was tired by then and wanted to stop at that point, but didn't say anything. I regretted not saying anything soon afterwards because we started to get some elevation and some windy roads. And it's dark out there. I was so glad when we finally got to Mariposa. I think it was around 11pm when we checked into our hotel and settled in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment